Retirement Jobs For Over 50 [Do What You Love To Do]
Retirement jobs for over 50 years of age - if you've been thinking about the available options, the time to decide is really, now. You know, our brain's internal clock runs slower as we age. Time flies faster. And you do realize that this is only going to accelerate in incredible speed, and it will be over pretty soon? What will be over? Your life! The remaining life is too short to waste. You want to find the most suitable, least stressful retirement job which you can actually enjoy.
Tired but Busy... Aren't We All?
It's tricky at around this age. There are still many years left before the official retirement age, but many of us feel so 'tired'. As in physically tired, also as in feeling 'stuck' with the current position. You pretend to be still in the driver's seat of the company, but you're actually no longer. The young ones are.
...this is how I often felt towards the end of my office career. Then I'd get busy. It's busy. I have another hectic day, don't have time to think about all that. What I have now is probably the best shot. If I left now, I'd lose so much of the pension benefits... Anyway I'm busy, I'm just going with the flow.
I kept fooling myself into believing that way and clung on to the office job for a couple of years, until I finally realized. Good salary, but is this job really worth keeping until the end of time? Hours and hours of overtime and all the politics? And talking about a private pension scheme, is it ever reliable?
I'm going to be 55 later this year. Quit my day job 3 years ago to pursue my career online. My primary income is from affiliate commissions and is probably a little more than I used to earn from my office job. But I work a lot fewer hours.
I would recommend anyone to consider working online as one of the retirement jobs for over 50 for a few reasons, such as;
I'll come back to that in a little while. But other than working on the internet, what other retirement job options are there?
(Real Time) Affiliate Income Report Last Month
December 2019: $6,191.82
Other Retirement Jobs For Over 50
When I checked various sites to find out retirement jobs for over 50, I was quite underwhelmed by the suggestions. The best jobs for retirees; housekeeper, petsitter, driver, concierge... Yep. Very retirees. Those lists might help people who are dreading the worst case scenario ("If I'm made redundant at this stage of life, what jobs are available for me?") But you wouldn't think, wow! I could quit my executive job and become a housekeeper because I'm old!
I must add, I'm not being disrespectful for these jobs, nor should anyone be, because I personally know a lot of young dog walkers and caretakers who do their jobs brilliantly. They should never necessarily be "suitable for retirees", do you agree?
If you go through one of those lists of suggestions to check what's available out there, then you'll probably eliminate the jobs that don't appear to be feasible to you. It'll be like;
- Continue the current job but go part-time - my employer won't allow me that.
- Become a driver - no, I don't like driving.
- Become a dog sitter - I don't mind dogs but dogs don't like me, etc...
The choice is so limited. Once again, the aim is to retire early so that you can spend the rest of your life doing what you really enjoy. Potentially the last 'career' in your life. You don't want to be missing out your possibilities. Perhaps you can ask yourself once again; what do I really want to do?
Turn Your Hobby Into Business
Do you want a life that allows you to spend more time on your hobbies, for your family, to visit places that you haven't been for a long time?
Then I recommend you to do what I do - affiliate marketing. It is a business where you promote products on the manufacturer's/retailer's behalf on your website. When someone visits your site and make a purchase, you'll receive a percentage of the sales price as a commission.
The biggest misconception about affiliate marketing is that you have to sell. That you must choose a product first, and somehow try to encourage your website visitors to buy it.
...It's actually totally the other way round.
The Keyword Is 'Help'
Firstly you build a website and start writing (blogging) about what you love - it can be your hobby, your favorite sport, collection, cooking... Basically anything. It can be about the TV series that you loved as you grew up. The Incredible Hulk, Charlies Angels...
Then you find related products to your blog posts. If your hobby (website) is about cooking, millions of cooking utensils are sold in Amazon. If your hobby is running, all the running gears and energy supplements can be the related products.
You recommend these products to your site visitors. Never 'sell' them because you're an affiliate, not a seller. You give your honest opinion in your blog posts and tell visitors about products that you think is best.
So you help people by making recommendations. This way, your visitors will listen to you, trust you and hopefully, make purchases.
"Building A Website? Too Technical!"
No, it's actually not, because you'll be using WordPress, the world's most popular website builder.
All you do is to choose your website title and theme design out of hundreds of templates.
- Your site will be ready in 2 minutes and you can start writing about the hobby, profession or any subject you feel passionate about - for FREE.
- Of course there will be step-by-step tutorials. You'll receive the first 10 tutorials for free.
- Includes community support 24/7, live chat 24/7 (first 7 days), 1-2-1 support (first 7 days).
- You can stay free forever, but if you are convinced that affiliate marketing is your ideal retirement job, the premium option will be $49 per month, which will be less than 1/2 price of other web hosting/training communities.
Start Blogging At This Age? Yes, You Can.
This is something I never thought I could do either. As you can tell by now, English is not my first language. I know I'm not particularly good at writing, and I don't see myself as an excellent communicator. But I'm managing it (just).
I make my living this way, receiving affiliate commissions. I enjoy running websites about things that I love and get paid for it. Of course you can do this too.
Also Read: Perfect Jobs For Aspergers [Work Online]
This is just an example.
You want to create a website about age-related health issues. The first thing you want to do is to come up with a good website title and the domain name (URL).
Website title: Men's Healthy Adventure at 50 (you can change it at any time)
Domain name: https://menshealthyadventureat50.com (you can't change it easily)
- 1Build the website - it won't take minutes.
- 2Join the Amazon affiliate program. (It doesn't have to be Amazon - there are thousands of retailers who offer affiliate partnership.)
- 3Start writing!
- 4At the same time, learn how to place affiliate links in your webpage, how to find and use royalty-free images.
- 5Use the keyword tool (free exclusively to the members) to find the best keywords for your blog posts.
The blog post ideas can be:
- "The Best Exercise For Middle Aged Men" - write about your daily exercising regime, and you can also promote gym equipment from Amazon. Not the monstrous ones that young muscle marys use, but perhaps simpler ones that you think are good.
- "How To Lose Weight After 50 Without Restricting Food" - you can promote food steamers or perhaps herbal diet supplements?
- "How To Look Younger But Not Desperate" - you can talk about fashion coordination or anti-aging cream as well as healthy eating and moderate exercise. Promote related products (the cream, clothing...)
- 6Use 'Site Comment' facility to get other members to leave a comment in your post.
- 7Use 'Site Feedback' facility to get other members to leave feedbacks. (What they think of your website. Layout? Content? Areas to improve?)
- 8Any questions, ask the community or the site support any time!
Your Retirement Goal Planner
If 50 the new 30? If you believe so. I don't particularly like that phrase. If you still have the stamina and mentality to party all night, then that's good for you. But whatever the age group you are in, we know that life can take an unexpected direction at any time.
Why am I saying this? Because we all take a little more relaxed attitude towards life as we age. We're not as goal-oriented as we used to be (if you still are, you're not reading this!) Then using your spare time, firstly you can make your retirement work-from-home plan like this - this is just an example.
- Start your online job now.
- By Month 3: Make your first $100 affiliate income.
- By Month 6: Get solid 100 site visitors per day.
- By Month 9: Make $500 per month. Start using paid advertisement services for more returns.
- By Month 10: Make full use of email marketing services.
- In 12 months from now: Make $1,000 per month. Plan when to quit your day job.
- In 18 months from now: Increase monthly income to $2,000 (or more).
Had we still been young, we would have said to ourselves, "monitor your goals regularly, stick to the plan, keep focusing!" The principle is the same, but we should also be enjoying the planning process too. We're busier than ever, get too tired in the evening. If things don't turn out according to the plan, we can be flexible and "relax" the numbers (halve each number, $500 instead of $1,000) or delay the goals slightly. But still focus on your final goal - to retire early.
Your Time Is Now
If this sounds like something you may want to do, then I suggest that you should start now. Seeing is believing, and if you change your mind, you can quit or come back later.
Why now? Because it will take time before you can receive your first affiliate commission. Just like any other businesses, it's all about learning curve and building up.
I'll talk about my experience for the last time.
I started this while I was still working full-time. I fell in love with it (designing my site, searching for topics to write, learning about Google...) But I only had a few hours to spare each day and, it took me 6-8 months before I started to receive enough money to convince myself to quit the day job.
I haven't looked back since, and I believe this is one of the best retirement jobs for over 50. But you never know how this is going to turn out for you. Then you'd better try it now while you still have a main source of income elsewhere.
Never stop dreaming. Build your own stunning website, learn & earn!