Running an online business is a challenging undertaking that requires dedication to resilience and a sharp mind. The ways we run individual businesses are constantly changing and evolving, so it’s important to stay on top of things if you want your business to succeed.
But how do you keep your brain in check while juggling the numerous tasks that come with running a business from home? Taking regular breaks? Practising mindfulness? Here are the techniques that will help you stay productive and motivated as you work on building up your business.
1. Understand Your Work Style
There are four main work styles: independent, creative, analytical, and supportive. You can discover your own work style to maximize your productivity and minimize stress.
Independent workers are self-motivated and thrive on autonomy. They're usually good at time management and don't need much supervision. However, they can be prone to procrastination and may have difficulty working in a team environment.
Creative workers are imaginative and often come up with original solutions to problems. They're usually good at brainstorming and thinking outside the box. However, they can be disorganized and may have difficulty staying focused on one task for a long period of time.
Analytical workers are detail-oriented and logical thinkers. They're usually good at planning and organizing tasks. However, they can be inflexible and may have difficulty dealing with change.
Supportive workers are cooperative and helpful. They're usually good at working in a team environment and communicating. However, they can be passive and may have difficulty taking initiative.
2. Set Up a Dedicated Workspace
The challenge of working from home is well known. We know how easy to get distracted by our surroundings. And let's face it, your home is probably not set up like a professional office. But there are some things you can do to make sure you're staying focused and productive.
Setting up a dedicated workspace doesn't mean you have to go out and buy a fancy desk or office furniture. You just find a place in your home where you can work without distractions. This could be a spare room, a kitchen table, or even just a corner of your living room.
Make sure it's comfortable and organized. Invest in a good chair and make sure your desk is clear of clutter. You might also want to consider adding some personal touches to your space, like plants or photos. Whatever makes you feel more relaxed and focused, do it!
3. Dress Smartly
If you've been working from home in your PJs or sweats, it may be time to switch up your routine.
What's it to do with brain exercise? When you think about what to wear for work, it can have an impact on your mood and how productive you are throughout the day.
If you feel good about what you're wearing, it can boost your confidence and help you tackle tasks with a positive attitude.
On the other hand, if you're uncomfortable or self-conscious in your outfit, it can weigh you down and make it harder to focus. That's why it's important to take a few minutes each morning to consider what will make you feel most confident and comfortable during the workday.
Whether it's a power suit for an important meeting or simply a pair of jeans that fit just right, taking the time to dress for success can pay off in terms of both your mood and your productivity.
It’s up to you how you feel about it - nothing fancy because no one’s watching, or dress up formally for the sake of it. But you should be wearing something that makes you feel put-together and professional.
Here are a few ideas for what to wear when working from home:
- A collared shirt or blouse
- Khakis or dress pants
- A tailored sweater or cardigan
- Closed-toe shoes (no flip-flops or slippers!)
Of course, comfort is key, so make sure you choose items that you can easily move around in.
4. Take Breaks
- You can't work all the time without taking breaks. It's important to give your brain a rest so you can come back to your work refreshed and ready to tackle whatever is ahead.
- For a few minutes, get up and walk around. This will get your blood flowing and help you clear your head.
- Take a nap. A power nap can do wonders for your energy level and productivity.
- Step away from your computer. Take some time to read, watch TV, or just relax. This will help you avoid burnout and keep your mind fresh.
- Make sure to schedule breaks into your day. Don't try to work straight through without stopping. You'll be much more effective if you take regular breaks.
5. Avoid Distractions
There are a lot of things that can distract you when you're trying to work on your online business. You might be tempted to check your email or social media, or even just take a break and watch some TV. However, it's important to stay focused on your work so that you can get the most out of your time.
- Maintain a schedule and don't stray from it. By doing so, you will be able to focus on your work and not get sidetracked by other activities.
- Turn off notifications for email, social media, and other distracting websites. This way, you won't be tempted to check them every time you hear a ping or see a new notification.
- Work in short bursts of focus time followed by short breaks. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle will prevent burnout and keep you feeling fresh all day long.
- Find a quiet place to work where you won't be interrupted by others. This will help you maintain focus and get more done in less time.
6. Set a Schedule
Working on your online business doesn't have to be a 9-to-5 job. You can work on it whenever you have some free time. However, it's important to set aside some time each day or each week to work on your business. This will help you stay focused and avoid getting overwhelmed.
To set a schedule;
- Start by looking at your weekly calendar and finding some open blocks of time.
- Decide what you want to accomplish during those times. For example, you might want to spend one hour each day working on content for your website or blog. Or, you might want to dedicate two hours each week to networking and marketing activities.
- Put it in your calendar and make sure you stick to it. Set reminders if necessary. And don't be afraid to adjust your schedule as needed - life happens!
7. Prioritize Your To-Do List
There are a lot of demands on our time these days and it can be tough to stay focused. One way to help yourself stay on track is to prioritize your to-do list.
- Make a list of everything you need to do and then rank them in order of importance.
- Take care of the most important tasks first.
- Don’t procrastinate – if something needs to be done, do it now!
- Consider delegating or outsourcing - time is money. If there’s something you’re struggling to do because you don’t know how to or don’t have time for, then pay someone else to do it.
- Break down big projects into smaller tasks so you can focus on one thing at a time.
- Give yourself some leeway - if you don’t get everything done, that’s OK. Just pick up where you left off tomorrow.
8. Keep a Notepad Handy
As an online business owner, you are always coming up with new ideas and tasks to do. It can be easy to forget things or get overwhelmed. That's why it's important to keep a notepad handy at all times. This way, you can quickly write down your thoughts and ideas as they come to you.
Whenever you have a spare moment, take a look at your notepad and see if there is anything you can work on. Even if it's just a few minutes here and there, every little bit helps. And who knows, one of those ideas might just be the next big thing for your business!
9. Tools to Help You Focus
If you find yourself struggling to focus on your work, there are a few tools that can help.
- One is the Pomodoro Technique, which involves working for 25 minutes and then taking a five-minute break.
- You can also try using a program like RescueTime to block out distractions and help you stay on task.
- There are also apps like Focus@Will that play music designed to help you focus.
And if you need something more low-tech, consider investing in a pair of noise-cancelling headphones.
10. Connect With Other Online Entrepreneurs
No one knows what it's like to be an online business owner better than another online entrepreneur. Take the time to reach out to others who are in similar businesses and swap ideas, advice, and strategies.
This can be incredibly helpful for staying motivated and inspired. Now, think about what you can do to make a difference. Something that others don’t do but you can do. Think about it hard and give it a try. This will be at least a great brain exercise to start with, and your business will also find a unique selling point.
11. Take Time Just For Yourself
We all know it’s important to be selfless and do whatever we can to help others. But it’s also important to forget about others, including your loved ones, and just focus on taking care of your mind as well as your body.
There's no doubt that running an online business can be a demanding and stressful undertaking. Take some time out for yourself every day to relax and rejuvenate.
- Get regular exercise. Physical activity is not only good for your health, but it can also help ease stress and improve your mood.
- Make time for hobbies and interests outside of work. Pursuing activities that you enjoy can help you de-stress and stay balanced.
- Spending time with friends and family can help reduce anxiety and promote a sense of well-being. But make sure that your time with your loved ones is working for you.
- Take breaks during the day. Stepping away from work periodically can help refresh your mind and prevent burnout.
By taking care of yourself, you'll be better able to handle the challenges of running an online business. So make sure to schedule some "me" time into your daily routine!
12. Get Moving
There are a lot of things that you can do to keep your brain working for your online business.
You need to get moving. Take a walk, go for a run, or do some light cardio. Getting your blood flowing will help you to think more clearly and come up with better ideas.
You need to reduce stress. Stress can take a toll on your brain power. Try meditating or doing yoga to help reduce stress levels.
You also need to exercise your brain. Just like you exercise your body, you need to exercise your brain as well. Do puzzles, read challenging books, and learn new things regularly. By keeping your brain active, you will keep it sharp and working well into old age.
13. Make Time for Socializing
We all know that socializing is important for our mental health, but when you're running an online business, it's easy to let socializing fall by the wayside. Here are a few ways to make sure you're staying socially connected:
- Make time for coffee dates, lunch dates, or happy hours with friends – even if it means scheduling them in advance.
- Join or start an online book club or discussion group related to your industry.
- Attend networking events and trade shows related to your business.
- Get involved with charities or other organizations that are important to you.
- Use social media wisely – not just for connecting with your followers for general conversations. Try raising some mind-boggling questions and find threads that are discussing deeper issues.
14. Connect with Nature
There are many benefits to spending time in nature, including reducing stress, improving moods, and increasing focus and productivity. If you’re looking for ways to keep your brain working for your online business, consider connecting with nature.
- Get outside for a walk or run during your lunch break. Just 20-30 minutes of fresh air and sunshine can boost your energy and mood for the rest of the afternoon.
- Work in a park or other outdoor space on nice days. If possible, set up a laptop or tablet outside so you can take advantage of the natural light and scenery.
- Take nature breaks throughout the day. Step away from your desk every few hours to look at trees, listen to birdsong, or simply breathe in some fresh air. This will help you stay refreshed and focused while working.
- Keep houseplants in your home office or workspace. Not only do they add a touch of nature to your surroundings, but they also purify the air and improve concentration levels.
- Incorporate nature sounds into your workday by playing them in the background through speakers or headphones. There are many free online sources of relaxing nature sounds, such as rainstorms, waterfalls, ocean waves, and wind chimes.
The benefits of connecting with nature are endless and can have a positive impact on your online business. Incorporate these tips into your daily routine, and you’ll be feeling refreshed, energized, and motivated in no time.
15. Eat Brain-Boosting Foods
Your brain needs the right nutrients to function properly and stay sharp as you age. Eating brain-boosting foods can help improve your memory, focus, and concentration. The best foods for your brain are;
- Blueberries: Blueberries are packed with antioxidants which can help protect your brain cells from damage. They’re also known to improve memory and cognitive function.
- Salmon: Salmon is a great source of omega-3 fatty acids, which are essential for healthy brain function. Omega-3s have been shown to improve memory, focus, and concentration.
- Nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds are a good source of vitamin E, which has been linked to improved cognitive function and a lower risk of Alzheimer’s disease. They’re also a good source of healthy fats, which are important for brain health.
- Dark chocolate: Dark chocolate contains flavonoids, which are antioxidants that can help protect your brain cells from damage. Flavonoids have also been linked to improved cognition and memory.
16. Practice Mindfulness
Mindfulness is the practice of being present at the moment and paying attention to your thoughts, emotions, and physical sensations. It can help you to become more aware of your surroundings and to better control your thoughts and emotions.
Breathing exercise is the most common method to practice mindfulness. You can find a bunch of guides just by googling, but what you do is basically,
- Find a comfortable chair/sofa to sit down on (or lie down on your bed but make sure not to fall asleep!) and close your eyes.
- While breathing in and out slowly, you only pay attention to your breath as it enters and leaves your body.
- If your mind wanders, that’s normal. Just start paying your attention back to your body breathing.
You can also try focusing on a specific object or sound, or counting each breath.
Mindfulness can help you to become more aware of your thoughts and emotions, and to better control them. It can also help reduce stress, anxiety, and depression.
17. Get Enough Sleep
They say Isaac Newton only slept 3-4 hours a day, and some other noble people would sleep less than 3 hours. But what can we do with that information?
Nothing. We all need sleep, and we need decent sleep to keep our brains going. According to WebMD, most adults need between 7 and 9 hours of sleep a day. However, this can vary depending on age, lifestyle, and health.
There are many benefits to getting enough sleep. For one, it helps improve our mood and energy levels. It also helps us focus and be more productive. Furthermore, sleep is important for our overall health. It can help reduce stress levels, lower blood pressure, and boost immunity.
Not getting enough sleep can have serious consequences. It can lead to weight gain, depression, anxiety, irritability, and even accidents. If you want to keep your brain working for your online business, make sure you get enough sleep.
17 Ways To Keep Your Brain Working For Your Home Business: Conclusion
Keeping your brain engaged and exercising it regularly can be a game changer for any online business. After all, your online business success depends on your ability to think creatively, solve problems and make decisions. With the right tools and practice - you will soon find yourself achieving improved mental clarity and success as an entrepreneur!
How I "Finally" Make Over $6,000 Monthly Income
"The most valuable thing I've ever done!"