When someone puts you down, how does it make you feel? Does it crush your self-confidence, or does it make you feel more determined? Disagreements and bad working relationships - all that’s happening is just part of life. No problem if you are strong enough to accept others and to be able to turn whatever happens into positivity. But if you seem to go overboard with your stress, you’d better do something about it.
Certain people try to put you down in the name of “competitive nature” - they falsely claim to be competitive but they’re just being overly self-conscious themselves. All they do is often talk louder, try to win a conversation furiously, and try to prove that they’re better than you. They want to feel superior to you by bringing you down, in fact, they’re only trying to hide their insecurity.
Or they may be suffering from atychiphobia (the fear of failure or defeat) due to spending their lives in whatever negative circumstances. While it’s their problem to sort out, all you can do is stay away from people with hostile attitudes.
If you never have to meet them again, you can just walk off. If they are a friend or colleague, it’s best to keep a distance as much as you can. If it’s a troll on the social space or your own webspace, it’s definitely best not to react, because you really don’t have time to deal with small-minded people behind avatars.
They don't need to be in your life, whether they're real or virtual. Life is too short to compete with those who have no respect for you. But life is also long enough to meet as many positive people who lift you up and make you a stronger person.
101 When People Put You Down Quotes
- 1"You will be let down by people you trusted - forgiveness is very good but in the process don’t lose your self-respect and never let anyone take you for granted!" - Irwin Rego
- 2"Remember. Whoever is trying to bring you down is already below you." - Ziad K. Abdelnour
- 3"All negativity is an illusion created by the limited mind to protect and defend itself" - Ambika Wauters
- 4"Don’t let the bitterness from people destroy your beauty within."
- 5"I do what I do instinctively, and that’s me. If you like me, that’s fine; if you don’t like me then don’t watch me." - Colin Fletcher
- 6"Let negative people live their negative lives with their negative minds." - Moosa Rahat
- 7"You can’t break me because you didn’t make me." - Denzel Washington
- 8"No matter how hard you work to bring yourself up, there's someone out there working just as hard, to put you down." - Dr. Dre
- 9"The people in my circle? Those who make me feel blessed; not stressed." - Steve Maraboli
- 10"There are people who break you down by just being them. They need not do anything. Dissociate." - Malebo Sephodi
- 11"All the people who knock me down, only inspire me to do better." - Selena Gomez
- 12"Define success on your own terms, achieve it by your own rules, and build a life you’re proud to live." - Anne Sweeney
- 13"The more you dwell on what you don’t have, the more you get what you don’t want."
- 14"There is neither happiness nor unhappiness in this world; there is merely the comparison of one state to the other. Only a man who has felt ultimate despair is capable of feeling ultimate bliss." - Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo
- 15"To be of good quality, you have to excuse yourself from the presence of shallow and callow minded individuals." - Michael Bassey Johnson
16 "No one is perfect, we all make mistakes. Despite our failings, we still deserve respect. Don’t let anyone put you down."
- 17"If you have to hurt other people in order to feel powerful, you are an extremely weak individual." - Bobby J. Mattingly
- 18"Always trust strangers, it’s the people you know that let you down." - Andrew O’Hagan
- 19"Strong people don’t put others down. They lift them up." - Michael P. Watson
- 20"People who project negativity typically have low self-esteem. They feel badly about themselves, and their negativity is simply a reflection of those feelings." - Hendrie Weisinger
- 21"People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel." - Maya Angelou
- 22"Be yourself. People don't have to like you, and you don't have to care."
- 23"I’d rather have an enemy who admits that they hate me, than a friend who secretly puts me down." - Karen Salmansohn
- 24"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody." - Bill Cosby
- 25"Walking away takes more strength than retaliation."
- 26"Never apologize to others for their misunderstanding of who you are."
- 27"Putting people down does not make you a powerful and a strong person. It makes you a bully, a coward and eventually alone in life." - Tess Calomino
- 28"No one can take advantage of you without your permission." - Ann Landers
- 29"I don’t keep secrets; I just keep people out of my business."
- 30"Never allow someone to be your priority while allowing yourself to be their option." - Mark Twain
- 31"You can't judge my choices without understanding my reasons." - Kid Cudi
Every Person Has Something Positive to Offer
Often, ignorant people's actions can seem unforgivable. So you walk away from them and try to hang out with those who can give positive energy to you. Connecting with people with a higher perspective is certainly one of the best solutions to maintain your well-being.
But if you are unable to walk away from them, what can you do? For instance, you work in partnership with that negative person and it’s not the right time to part ways?
One thing you should remember is that the people around you are a reflection of your own spiritual vibration. And you too are influencing others in the same way. If they seem negative to you, you are likely to give them the same negative vibe in return. But you don’t want that situation, you want to leave, but you can’t. You are therefore trapped in the energy of conflict.
Every time you see a person face to face, find a quality that makes that person. Find the good part that you can admire and praise. No one is a total saint, but no one is a total devil either, right? You should be able to find out what’s good about the person every time you see them and what positive influence they can have on you.
The key is to do this exercise every day, with as many people as you speak to face to face. This way, instead of “blocking” people who put you down, you’ll be able to ignore the awkward vibe they emit.
32 "My attitude is based on how you treat me."
- 33"We all experienced people putting us down and people saying we couldn’t do it. We overcame it." - Leigh-Anne Pinnock
- 34"Let negative people live their negative lives with their negative minds." - Moosa Rahat
- 35"I'm perfect in my imperfections, happy in my pain, strong in my own weaknesses and beautiful in my own way because I'm me."
- 36"You cannot change the people around you, but you can change the people you choose to be around."
- 37"Work hard for what you want because it won’t come to you without a fight. You have to be strong and courageous and know that you can do anything you put your mind to. If somebody puts you down or criticizes you, just keep on believing in yourself and turn it into something positive." - Leah LaBelle
- 38"I am unable to connect with negativity and toxic people today. Please check back at a later time." - Germany Kent
- 39"People will let you down... Welcome to life. People will also lift you up, save you, love you, embrace, teach you, and guide you... Welcome to life!" - Elle Febbo
- 40"I tell kids that people will let them down and people will hurt them. But Jesus Christ will never let them down and never hurt them." - Willie Aames
- 41"The real test of your character is how you treat the people you doesn't have to be nice to."
- 42"Think for yourself. Trust your own intuition. Another's mind isn't walking your journey, you are." - Scottie Waves
- 43"Be strong. Take no nonsense. Don't let others bring you down." - Ray Alexander
- 44"When people criticize me, instead of putting my head down, it gives me energy to do even more." - Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- 45"You may not control all the events that happen to you, but you can decide not to be reduced by them." - Maya Angelou
- 46"There are some people who put you down in life, mock your dreams, and challenge your personality; they look like winners. But in actual fact, they are only voicing out their insecurities and jealousy. Do not let them pull you down. Believe and accept yourself and hold onto what you believe in."
- 47"Do not let people put you down. Believe in yourself and stand for yourself and trust yourself." - Jacob Neusner
48 "Don't jump to conclusions. My "yes" meant "I see what you mean", I never agreed with you. You just didn't pay enough attention of me." - Ray Alexander
- 49"When people criticize me, instead of putting my head down, it gives me the energy to do even more." - Zlatan Ibrahimovic
- 50"Cutting people out of your life doesn’t mean you hate them, it simply means you respect yourself. Not everyone is meant to stay."
- 51"You don’t put up with their disrespect because you love them, you put up with it because you don’t love yourself enough to leave." - Sonya Parker
- 52"Just remember when you're ignoring someone, you're actually teaching them how to live without you."
- 53"When someone is mean, don’t listen. When someone is rude, walk away. When someone tries to put you down, stay firm. Don’t let someone else’s bad behavior destroy your inner peace."
- 54"Disappointment is nothing but an eye-opening learning process for your future endeavors." - Edmond Mbiaka
- 55"Sometimes you have to let people down in order to get on, particularly in showbusiness." - Dusty Springfield
- 56"Negative and toxic people will drag you down with their insults, criticisms, and put-downs. Try not to stoop to their level. It is their own insecurities that drive their behavior and it has nothing to do with you. Move on and away from that negativity."
- 57"Do what you feel in your heart to be right, for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
- 58"Pain and suffering are inevitable in our lives, but misery is an option." - Chip Beck
- 59"Accept the fact that some people didn’t intend to let you down. Their best is just less than you expected." - Thema Davis
- 60"You are not responsible for the way people treat you."
- 61"When you get into a tight place and everything goes against you, till it seems as though you could not hang on a minute longer, never give up then, for that is just the place and time that the tide will turn." - Harriet Beecher Stowe
- 62"It’s time to distance yourself from the people who let you down, the inconsistent one. It’s time to start loving yourself."
- 63"I’ve been let down so many times that being hurt doesn’t phase me anymore."
64 "I don't care what people think of me because I decide how I live my life and I trust my own capability." - Ray Alexander
- 65"The best defence is to keep off the radar of negative people." - Steven Redhead
- 66"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win." - Mahatma Gandhi
- 67"Make a habit of shutting down conversations that aim to tear others down."
- 68"Do not put others down in order to build up your own image."
- 69"They tried to bury us. They didn't realise we were seeds." - Dinos Christianopoulos
- 70"If you walked away from a toxic, negative, abusive, one-sided, dead-end low vibrational relationship or friendship, you won." - Lalah Delia
- 71"You never look good trying to make someone else look bad."
- 72"Care about what other people think, and you will always be their prisoner." - Lao Tzu
- 73"Weeding out the harmful influences should become the norm, not the exception." - Carlos Wallace
- 74"Never forget. But don't always forgive." - Ray Alexander
- 75"If people are trying to let you down, it only means that you are above them."
- 76"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese Proverb
- 77"How you make others feel about themselves, says a lot about you."
- 78"Promise me you’ll always remember: You’re braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think." - (Christopher Robin to Winnie the Pooh), A. A. Milne
- 79"Your happiness is the greatest revenge against those who wish to bring you down."
80 "If you have even one percent doubt on me, then I am not for you."
- 81"No one can break me down. I know my worth and it's a beautiful thing." - Iggy Azalea
- 82"Don’t expect too much from people. The less you expect, the less disappointed you will be when they let you down."
- 83"Walk away from people who put you down. Walk away from fights that will never be resolved. Walk away from trying to please people who will never see your worth. The more you walk away from things that poison your soul, the healthier you will be." - Shaista Saba
- 84"Spend your life lifting people up, not putting them down." - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.
- 85"Stop allowing other people to dilute or poison your day with their words or opinions" - Steve Maraboli
- 86"Insecure people try to make you feel smaller. Confident people love to see you walk taller."
- 87"Don't force yourself to fit in where you don't belong."
- 88"Beware of those around you who subtly sow the seeds of doubt." - Wayne Gerard Trotman
- 89"There’s a thin line between confidence and arrogance. It’s called humility. Confidence smiles, arrogance smirks." - Aagam Shah
90 "If you ignore me, I'll ignore you. If you don't put in the effort, why should I?"
- 91"Some of my attitude is a result of your action, so if you don’t like my attitude blame yourself."
- 92"While you can’t control someone’s negative behavior, you can control how long you participate in it."
- 93"I’m never shocked when people let me down nowadays. I just hate the fact that I put myself in a position to be let down in the first place."
- 94"Your social awkwardness does not define your value. Stop trying to be so nice to everyone." - Ray Alexander
- 95"There are people in your life who’ve come and gone, they let you down and hurt your pride. Better put it all behind you, life goes on, you keep carrying that anger, it’ll eat you up inside." - The Heart Of The Matter, Don Henley
- 96"In times of great stress or adversity, it’s always best to keep busy, to plow your anger and your energy into something positive." - Lee Iacocca
- 97"Maxim for life: You get treated in life the way you teach people to treat you." - Wayne Dyer
- 98"You don't always have to be so nice to others. Sometimes showing your bad side can tell you who can accept you at your worst."
- 99"An entire sea of water can’t sink a ship unless it gets inside the ship. Similarly, the negativity of the world can’t put you down unless you allow it to get inside you." - Goi Nasu
- 100"Arrogance is used by the weak, while kindness is used by the strong." - Hans F. Hansen
101 "Don’t let anyone knock you down. You're strong enough to take criticisms. Now you know better, do better." - Ray Alexander
How I "Finally" Make Over $6,000 Monthly Income
"The most valuable thing I've ever done!"